Saturday, August 11, 2012

Week Two: July 23, 2012

Dear everyone who reads this, Well with my first full week of missionary work behind me I am still standing and still very excited about everything. I'm starting to get a feel for things and it's going great. It has been a really long week and it is still kind of hard adjusting to the whole routine but Elder Webb is a great trainer and a great missionary so he is showing me the ropes. I was nervous at first but the last couple days I have been speaking up more in lessons and I feel like I am learning the doctrine more and I am really enjoying my 3 hours of study everyday. It's great, but yeah I had a really good week

Monday- we went and played disc golf with a less active member (Alex Roscoe). He is one of those people who if he wants to be good at something he is good. That took about two hours. I only lost by one throw so I wasn't too shabby. Then we had time to email, and shop. I wasn't able to get any nap time in but there is always next week. Then at six we got dressed and went and knocked on doors for a couple of hours.

Tuesday- The most emotionally difficult day of my life. We went to Eaton Rapids just south of Charlotte and we met with a referal who wasn't interested. Then we went to a less actives house named Brian and read some scriptures with him. It was nice. Then we had an appointment with an investigator who we were really excited about but when we got there she had left the Book of Mormon we gave her on the porch with a note saying pretty much don't come back, so that was really tough. Then we went to a few other appointments and they all fell through so we went and tried to track down some less actives and that didn't work at all so basically everything that could go wrong did. We ended up going all around Eaton Rapids (like Mapleton) and knocked on doors which would have been fine but it was 103 outside and the humidity index felt like 113. There was actually a heat advisery and no one was supposed to be outside, but you know what they say... through rain, sleet and snow...and heat.. ha! But yeah, it really was tough and I really had to ask myself why I was here and why I was doing it and if it wouldn't have been the right reasons I would have been in trouble.

Wednesday- We had district meeting in the am and that went about 2 hours or so. Then we had a district lunch at Wendy's. Then because Elder Webb is district leader we go on trade offs everyweek so i got to go to Jackson with Elder Carr. He is from Centerville. They were way low on miles for the month so we had to bike and Jackson is a big city and it was really hot so that was a good experience. It really made me appreciate being in a full time car. It was fun to see how other missionaries work and what other areas are like. We went to teach a lesson to a lady. I cant remember her name though. It was really good. We taught the Plan of Salvation and she understood it! Then we knocked on doors all day and one of the bikes broke so we went back to the apartment to fix it with no luck. So then we walked to our last appointment and called it a day.... a really really long day ha

Thursday- Elder Webb came and picked me up around noon and we got back to Charlotte about 1. Then we did our weekly planning. They said to put aside two hours for that. I didn't expect it to be that long but it was and little more. We were really frustrated with one of our investigators, Jacob. He is reading the Book of Mormon but we aren't really sure if his real intent was there so we honestly spent an hour trying to figure out what we needed to do with him cause he is coming to church and everything.... idk. Then we went to the Roscoe Family and taught a lesson. He is really difficult to teach because his mind wanders and all that but it went good. We taught him about agency and it was good. Then we made our Thursday rounds in Olivet. Usually it is just Loretta and Dixie, two recent converts, but Loretta referred us to Cynthia who lives in her building. She is a really nice black lady. So we were going to go see her but the power was out so she had left to stay with some one in Detroit so we just went and saw Loretta and Dixie, which is always fun. Then Brother Schlee, our branch mission leader, took us out for pizza.

Friday- Every Friday we volunteer at Helping Hands. It's kind of like the Bishops Storehouse. We do that from 9 to noon. Then we went home and did companion study, which I am loving. Then we went to Brother Anderson's house. He is less active because he has health problems. So we went and read with him and then we knocked on doors all day... met some cool people. We met a Jehovah Witness and he was actually nice to us. Usually when they find out we're Mormon they dont like us, but he was nice which was weird! Then we met some people who wanted to talk about how much Obama sucks, but we're like we gotta go here's our card ha!

Saturday- We had lessons with Jacob and Cynthia that went good, knocked on some more doors and yeah there was acutally a lot that happened Saturday. But I feel like im getting carpul tunnel so I won't write everything but it was good

Sunday- We had priesthood executive committee in the am then church. I love the branch members. They are way nice. Then after we had correlation which isn't that fun. I dont think they even talked about missionary work. Then we went home and did our companion study and Elder Webb had to get numbers from the district so after he did that we went to the Miller family to have dinner. It was the first time a member fed us since Tuesday so that was way nice! Then we went and saw Ruth. Ruth is our 86 year old investigator. She has not prayed in over 30 years but she is reading the Book of Mormon. We were talking trying to figure out why she wasn't praying and I was asking her some questions and I cant even remember what I asked her but it was like a light went on in her head and long story short SHE PRAYED!!! right there so I'm hoping that she felt the spirit and will continue to pray and be able to find out of the truth of the Book of Mormon on her own. She says that she never believes what people say about religion and I'm like that's great I don't want you to take my word for it I want you to pray and find out on your own! It was really awesome and it was one of those moments where I'm like this is why I'm here, so yeah...it was a great week. Thank you all for you love and support. My address is 328 Brackett Charlotte MI 48813 so send me some letters Love Elder Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment